Thursday, January 17, 2008

Field Trip- Sledding

Today we went on a sledding field trip. Since there is no snow in the surrounding mountains they make it. This small amusement park makes snow on several little hills. It was a pretty fun day. I kept getting into trouble for not sledding right. I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong. Employees of the park kept instructing me in Korean on proper sledding techniques and shaking their heads.Janny and Lindsay
Lindsay recently joined my class. Her parents wanted her to learn English so they had her live with relatives in Canada for a year.
Janny and two girls from her class making a snowman.
Ryan, Martin, and Lindsay at the top of the hill. Martin's the one with the mask on. Masks serve three purposes in Korea. 1) Keep out pollution 2) If you're sick, to stop spreading germs 3) Warmth. It's pretty common to see several if you're out and about.
Me and Martin about to sled. Martin's an awesome kid. Most of the Korean kids are serious about studying even at age 5. Martin seems to be your typical American 5 year old. He's excited when there is no piano or English tutoring. He gets really tired during math class and explodes out of his seat for P.E. He's also really generous and kind. About twice a week he gives me candy and says, "Oh, here's one for Janny teacher."
Me dancing to Korean gangster rap on the hill. The only line in English was "kill, kill, kill.... murder, murder, murder." It sounded like it came out of the Korean version of Compton.
Henry

6 comments:

Lesley Miller said...

You two are awesome/sweet in every way possible.

Darcy said...

The kids look like they adore you both! I love seeing you with them and playing and holding hands. You both have such a gift with little ones. Keagan and Kinkade have always adored you since the day they met you. God just told me after your own biological second baby is 4 you are going to adopt a baby from Korea. Thanks for updating the blog. I love seeing your life there. I get so excited to see a new post. I can't wait to get home and show KG the video he is going to LOVE IT!
I hope you had a restful weekend. Those little ones take loads of patience and energy!
I am still in Guatemala with Lucia. Coming home tomorrow then back again on Sunday to pick her fo good with Aaron. She is so active, and playful now. The most social baby I have ever been around . . . I think she might fit right in. Love you so much.
Darcy

Mom said...

What a great field trip! (Janny, where is your hat? Ryan, your gloves?) It reminds me of skiing with fifth graders at Mission Ridge.

We have so much snow this year. We'll send you some cabin pictures tonight.

Love,
Mom

McMurrays said...

We just watched the Wonder girls video. . .here were the boys quotes while watching:
"I didn't know wonder woman lived in Korea" - Kinkade
"Which one is Janny?" - Keagan
"They dance just like me!" - guess who. . . .

So, I tried to explain a music video. . . more confusing than you would think.
love you guys,
Keagan, Kinkade and Darcy

Shauna said...

We miss you guys a ton! Right now Spokane is getting a rickdiculous amount of snow! I hope that the teaching is getting better! Oh yeah we are learning the dance - it's sweet!!!

swm said...

Henry is my favorite. Tell him "what up" for me.

Giggles,

Sam