Friday, January 4, 2008

We have so much respect for teachers!

This is Sami. ...at first I wasn't so sure about him, but he is quickly becoming my favorite student.
This is Plum class, they have the most energy and personality of all my classes. They have some of the cutest, but most piercing voices you've ever heard.We have so much respect for all the teachers we know, especially the elementary teachers! ...we have at most 10 kids in all or our classes, usually between 3-8. I can't imagine having 30!!
This is Sami's class, Grape class. They are the smartest kindergarten classes I have. Ryan and I both have two kindergarten classes that we teach each morning. In the afternoon we have kindergarten through fourth grade. The afternoon kids go to Korean school in the morning and then to our school to learn English in the afternoon. Most of the kids go to school on Saturdays as well. Usually they wake up go to Korean school, then to karate, then to English school, then either home or to piano, etc. I can't imagine being 7 years old and being at school from 9am-6:30pm every day!

The other day I told one of my favorite afternoon classes about the U.S. school schedule; three months off for summer vacation, two weeks for Christmas break, one week in the Spring, etc. ...they were speechless, I think they thought I was joking. I felt bad for telling them so I quickly changed the subject.

6 comments:

Darcy said...

Look at those sweet kiddos. Love the school pics. Piercing voices is a great way to describe life in in Kindergarten. I have always said Kindergarten teachers have the one of the toughest jobs in the world, and should be paid at least 3 times as much. Last year our kinder classes had 29 kids in both morning and afternoon. . . .can you imagine. I am glad you are back in your little apartment. We are frantically working on the nursery. We got a bid on the basement today. . . the MIRRORS are going to be AWESOME!
Love you,
Darcy

Unknown said...

Such great photos! Sami looks a little devilish...keep an eye on that one. I can't imagine the warmth and enthusiasm you both are sharing with the children.

"I'm binished,"
Bryan

Mom said...

I'm a teacher! :-) And I agree, kinders are the toughest. Do you have to help them get ready for recess? Even eight zippers, mittens, and boots would be exhausting! But, they love a good story and they're excited about everything! I wonder if your ears will adapt? I'm sure you are both great with your students! (Remind me to teach you a song in April.)

Love,
Mom

Screcelius said...

We love your blog! We miss you both and would love a skype date with you two soon. Your kids look adorable but fiesty. You two are saints for being their loving teachers. Have you started teaching them made up words or are they too quick and fluent yet to fall for that? I was really hoping you would teach them that the word for television in the english was schmaklan. Also I am a big fan of your Mrs. Claus outfit. Much love the Creceli

jonesfamily said...

I love your life! It sounds like you guys are having the adventure you were hoping for to say the least. I love the 'professional dancers' story. And wow! I can't imagine teaching kindergarteners in English let alone in another language! We love you both and miss you a lot!

Julie

Shauna said...

I bet it gets better and better every day- at least they are super cute!