Thursday, February 7, 2008

Kumdo: The Way of the Sword

Our first Kumdo lesson was epic. Kumdo is the modern martial art of fencing, the Korean equivalent of Japanese kendo (Wikipedia). Before returning to the West, I'm planning on becoming a master swordsman able to strike down any enemy with precision, strength, and honor . Fortunantly, we are being trained by a world champion Kumdo master. He had his son translate all his accomplishments- 7 world championship titles. We are pretty sure he noticed our mental toughness and discipline and is as excited to teach us as we are to train under his tutelage. Janny may actually not go to the next lesson because her feet were really cold- minor setback. While we're talking about setbacks in our training, it's a little hard to know exactly what to do in the lessons. He doesn't speak English and we don't speak Korean. There was a lot of head shaking on his part and a lot of confused looks on ours. Our instructor was a great sport.


More of a Jedi stance than Kumdo- but still effective.

6 comments:

Mike Ogdon said...

Thank you for the definition of Kumdo. I am enlightened. Tig and I have been laughing for the last 7 minutes and then we stopped and then we started laughing again for another 8. I can understand the discipline it must take to not go to the class because of cold feet. It is harder to not go then to go. Great honor and courage Janny. Ryan on the other hand. I hope you can kick some azn ass by the end of this. As a final day you should try to fight the head master that won 7 championships. If you win I will buy you a new car with a sword holder.
Well we miss you guys a ton and hate that we can't just pick up the phone. I am so glad you are diving robe deep into the culture. I hope you guys are doing awesome. You both look very awesome and very attractive. Like seriously attractive. Movement. I love you guys to death.

Darcy said...

Aaron says:
I couldn't stop laughing at Ryan's stoic facial expressions. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the first Kumdo lesson.
Glad to hear you are experiencing Korean culture.
K&K will love getting Kumdo lessons.
Miss you guys tons. Love you.

Mom said...

Kendo - Kumdo; now I know the difference. I would guess you'll learn a lot just by imitation. Looks like fun! I hope to watch you in action when I visit!!

Caucuses are today; then I'm going to spend some time reading about Korea. I've got my South Korea guide book. Any other recommendations?

Your phone call is a highlight of our week and your blog is a close second. We love it and we love you!

Terry Malloy said...

Ryan You need to eat more cabbage You look hungry

Terry Malloy said...

You Need to eat

Kathy said...

You two are cracking me up! Sword fighters indeed....what good sports you are. Good thing you know how to wield the sword of the Spirit with such amazing accuracy. love you guys!