Saturday, February 23, 2008

Backaches in Korea

My chronic backache flared up last week so I went to a chiropractor who came highly recommended by a friend. He is a nice man who speaks little English. The first session took about an hour, he did a basic back adjustment and a painful deep tissue massages. The next session was heavy on the Chinese medicine and took about two hours. ...I am struggling to explain the experience, but at times it was really funny, really painful, and... it seemed to have helped my back. Janny gets headaches from time to time so... she gave it a try and I asked in broken Korean if I could take pictures.Janny after session one.
This is cupping. Not real sure what it does. Wikipedia probably has some answers. He explained in broken English that darker bruises are worse- like most bruises I suppose.


He told us we have bad blood: solution- get it out. He made tiny pricks with his pricker machine and stuck the cups on it. It's that simple- no more bad blood.


The evidence of stagnant blood- I guess. Does this picture quiet all you nay-sayers about cupping treatment?
Our doctor pours alcohol on Janny's back in preparation for the fire treatment, a most unusual and dangerous muscle relaxant.





Janny's legs couldn't take the heat and were a little sweaty by the end.
"I think I'm dead..." Janny after fire treatment.
Not quite done yet... Doc. prepares for medieval neck adjustment.

Absolutely haggard after session two, Janny posses with her new friend. I wish we new his name.
These giant hickeys last a couple of days.

Not Janny- that's Gwyneth Paltrow with cupping bruises. Gwyneth believes in it and so do we.

16 comments:

Abbey said...

Okay, that was amazing. That experience alone makes living in Korea worth it. I laughed, I cried. How many people can say they've had their own blood collect in suction cups on their backs or been lit on fire to soothe their muscles?

Amazing!

So did it work?

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! Were you scared? Because I was a little bit as I looked at the pictures! Getting bad blood out---isn't that what they used to do in the old days with leeches? You guys are so cool for doing this :)
Meghan Ross

Lesley Miller said...

Oh my gosh, the pictures only got worse as I kept scrolling! Wow...I am, speechless/amazed/horrified/in awe of both of you. Keep the good times coming! I am highly entertained.

Mom said...

I am certainly glad I talked to you before I saw these pictures! So have you had another headache since, Janny? Back trouble, Ryan? Maybe you should be documenting time between these experiences? Since it sounds like you plan to do this again? Hmmm....

Anonymous said...

Clap, Clap, Clap. If it is good for Gwyneth it is good for you. My favorite part of the whole thing is the crotch harness that mr. miagy used on Janny. I am a little suspect of that whole thing. I love Korea and I love you. We miss you guys with the fury and hotness of the fire on Janny's back. Love always, Mike and Tig.

Darcy said...

SHUTUP! I'm scared!!!!!!! I will not show Keagan these pictures he is still worried about Janny's 2 stitches in her foot. . . praying for Janny's foot at least weekly. Keagan would never recover from his dearest Janny having blood sucked out of her back and being on fire, and I could not explain this one.
You guys are truly experiencing the culture. . so proud of you.
love you so much!
Are you going back for more?
Darcy

Terry Malloy said...

The mother of my future grandchildren is not to be set on fire under any circumstances. Has the rice and seaweed diet made you two lose sight of this very important rule to live by?

Terry Malloy said...

The mother of my future grandchildren should not under any circumstances be set on fire

Terry Malloy said...

The mother of my future grandchildren should not under any circumstances be set on fire

Terry Malloy said...

The mother of my future grandchildren should not under any circumstances be set on fire

Unknown said...

That's a much different cupping than you are used to. Does Janny prefer your fart cupping or Korean hickey cupping more? We miss you and have gained respect for you and Gwyneth Paltrow for exploring Korean culture with such reckless abandon.

We love you,
The Only Kielys in the US

Kathy said...

Hmmm, I for sure can't let Danny see these pictures.....I actually do own a cupping set of my own, and I know Danny would want to do the fire thing, being the handy-dandy fireman that he is. As it is, his goal is to get as many cups onto my body as possible at once. I can't remember what his record is. It is supposed to be helping my skin....the jury is still out on that one. Love you two crazy kids!

Anonymous said...

YOU GUYS!! i just got back on your blog and i don't know what to think... oh my goodness. i'm going to pray for you. how are you doing?! you're so brave!
I'm so proud of you.

love from idaho,
Tahn

Jessica Bowman said...

I finally found the blog again and I must say that even though I can't say I'm experienced in the medical field yet I have NEVER seen anything like that for treatment!!
I'm glad you made it through...especially the blood-sucking part:)
I love seeing your adventures.
I love you and I miss you!

Unknown said...

Holy crap! and I thought living in Canada was weird.

Anonymous said...

I have been doing cupping for a long time, my Korean friend taught me how to do it so all the other teachers ask me to all the time. I don't like doing the bleeding though even though they say where it is black you need to get that blood out.

You know you should look up the spots where it is the darkest, it matches and organ in your body that is tired or hurt and you need to cleanse it or get it looked at.